RIDE IN PEACE THROUGH ADVENTURE
Ride in Peace Adventures was set up by local man and mountain biker Christopher Roper to develop and encourage mountain biking in Aberdeenshire and the Cairngorms.
After experiencing the first World Cup at Fort William in 2002, Chris tried the track on a Royal Racing coaching day and has been hooked on mountain biking ever since. Chris has ridden, coached and guided across the world. He holds numerous coaching and guiding qualifications and continues to purse his ambition of becoming one of the best qualified guides in Europe. He’s venerable enough to hold the Scottish Cycling MBLA, to which he’s added the British Cycling level 2 coaching award. Combine that with an HND in Sports and Sports Coaching, a degree in Sports Science and an Österreichischer Radführer, his first international qualification. For the cherry on the top, he holds an French Carte Professional d’Educateur Sportif, allowing him to guide in France.
Chris loves riding anywhere with big mountains, especially in the Alps from Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and France! Throw in the foothills of the Indian Himalaya and riding and guiding in New Zealand and you have a hirsute rider who truly knows his way around.
That said, Chris is a relaxed and peaceful person who loves to share his experiences with anyone seeking to Ride in Peace through adventure, respect for nature and an understand of their surroundings.
- Scottish Cycling Mountain Bike Leader Award
- British Cycling Level 2 Mountain Bike Coaching Award
- GO MTB Level 5 Instructor
- Mountain Bike Instructor Award Scheme level 2
- Österreichischer Radführer
- Carte Professionnelle d’Educateur Sportif
First Aid and Child Protection
- BASP Emergency First Aid
- NSPCC Child Protection in Sport
- PVG registered
White Water Rafting
- Schiffsführerpatent Raft
- BCU Foundation Safety and Rescue
- HND Sports Coaching with Development of Sport
- BSC Honours Sport and Exercise Science
With 15 seasons and counting, here a list of some the places and companies Chris has worked for along the way.
- New Zealand, Christchurch Adventure Park – Mountain Bike Instructor
- France, BikeVillage – Mountain Bike Guide
- Scotland, Nevis Range Skischool – Ski Instructor
- India, Red Chilli Adventures – White Water Raft Guide
- Austria, Feel Free Outdoor Professionals – White Water Raft Guide
- Austria, Rote Teufel – Ski Instructor
- England, YMCA Lakeside – Summer Camp Instructor
- Scotland, Speyside Trust Badaguish Outdoor Centre – Voluntary work with the less able
- Scotland, Active Schools Aberdeenshire – Sports Coach (Football, Basketball, Swimming)
Kirsten’s love of biking started young, with day trips out and adventures on the bike in County Durham where she was born. She was re-introduced to biking after finishing university through the cycle to work scheme and since then two full suspension bikes and a much loved carbon hardtail have kept the biking adventures going.
Kirsten loves exploring the hills and new trails and is well known among her friends as ‘the route planner’ with a map always tucked into her rucksack. She also enjoys the more organised side of biking and has taken part in several MTB events including the ten under the Ben and her local Aberdeenshire Enduro series. When the trails are covered in snow she enjoys skiing and adventure racing and has even strayed into gravel biking, taking part in the ‘Grinduro’ on Aaron.
In 2018 Kirsten qualified as a MTB leader with British cycling and started guiding youth groups for the local cycling club. This lead to further qualifications as a Go MTB instructor and night leader, and joining Ride in Peace Adventure!
Biking continues to become a bigger part of her life and seems to be slowly taking over! As a guide she hopes to pass on her love of biking and the outdoors to others. She is especially motivated to promote the sport to female riders who are currently underrepresented in the sport.
- British cycling mountain bike leader, level 2
- British cycling mountain bike leader, level 3 – ongoing
- British cycling night leader
- Go MTB Level 3 Instructor
First Aid and Child Protection
- Outdoor First Aid Certificate
- PVG Registered
- Child Protection in Sport and Active Leisure Level 2
- Covid coordinator